The Net Metering Program was created by the Ministry of Energy.
Ontario's Net Metering regulation allows a generator to export electricity to the electrical distribution grid. It is available to any generator applicant who generates, from renewable resources and primarily for their own use, up to 500 kW.
Ontario Regulation 541/05 defines the renewable energy sources as:
- Electricity generated from wind;
- Electricity generated using solar radiation (photo-voltaic);
- Electricity using a drop in water elevation;
- Electricity using agricultural bio-mass;
Or any combination thereof.
If a customer exports more energy than they import during a billing period, they will receive credit for the excess energy which can be carried forward for up to 10 to 12 months; the credit can be applied against future electricity bills.
To cancel a net metering agreement, the generator must provide written notice to Festival Hydro.
- Contact us and we will provide you with information pertaining to the technical specifications, the approval process and how to get your net metering contract. Additionally, you will need to contact the Electrical Safety Authority of Ontario (ESA), as your system must be inspected and approved by the ESA to guarantee that it is correctly connected to the grid.
- Investigate your alternatives for renewable energy: information can be provided by renewable energy organizations, advisors and suppliers.
- Determine the size of the generation unit that will suit your needs.
Information on the application process by generation class can be found on the Load Displacement page.
If you have any questions regarding the Net Metering initiative, please contact Festival Hydro's Generation Team:
Phone: 519-271 -4700 x. 303
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does the process take?
The process is dependent on size for small and medium sized projects it may take anywhere from 3 to 6 months.
How much does the process cost?
Prices can vary depending on project scope please submit an application for pricing.
Am I eligible for Generation?
Please make an application to determine eligibility.
How many credits do I have?
Please refer to your monthly hydro bill as it will indicate you current credit balance.
How much does a generation system cost?
Please contact a renewable generation installation company for costs.